Saturday, May 14, 2022

What Time Is It?

 


I recently dreamt that I was attending a large congress held at a hotel, and it is the last day of conference activities. My mother calls and says I should get home before midnight, as my father is there. I realize that the home where I grew up is a 3-hour car ride from the hotel; I still have to pack; and I have no idea what time it is.

I have to attend the last lecture, for which I’m already late. A well-known Broadway director is lecturing and gives me a dirty look as I try to sneak in unobtrusively. I look for a seat in the darker part of the auditorium, but the only empty seat there is a high chair, like a director’s chair.

Once settled in, I look around for clocks but there aren’t any. When the lecture is over I leave and look for clocks in the hallways and lobby but there are none. I’m surprised to find myself in what looks like an ICU. Seven patients are in beds with monitors and lines, each with a clock over the bed, but they all show different times. One of the clocks is like a melting Dali clock with all the numbers on the left side.

There is only one staff member present, a nurse. I ask if she knows what time it is and she yells, “Can you please keep your voice down!” She points to the clock behind her, on which the hands show 9:50, and says “It’s 10:10.” I reply “You mean 10 till 10?” She yells again, “Can’t you even tell time?”

As I realize I’m not going to make it home in time, or accomplish what I need to before time runs out, I awaken in a panic.

When contemplating the meaning of the dream, the overriding theme seemed to be not having enough time to do what needed to be done, and even worse, not knowing how much time was left.

Much of my professional life has been spent in large conference or meeting settings, first as an academic neurologist teaching, giving lectures, or as an expert witness in a courtroom. More recently, my husband and I have danced at competitions or performances held in large hotels, venues or theatres. Deadlines and time constraints always loomed large in these settings, but at least the boundaries and expectations were clear.

The dream had more of a sense of urgency, as I didn’t know when I would be called upon or how much time had already elapsed. I had to return to my parents’ home, which I believe symbolized Heaven, as both parents have passed into eternity. I didn’t know how much time I had to get there, only that there were many demands on my time before I left.

Arriving late to the lecture and not being able to sneak in suggests that I already feel like I am falling behind in the race God has set before me (1 Corinthians 9:24; Hebrews 12:1), and that my tardiness will be found out. The elevated chair may represent attention falling on my being late, or perhaps that I will unexpectedly be called on to speak or to assume more of a leadership role. We are to be ready to witness to the Gospel any time – in season or out of season (2 Timothy 4:2).

But again the nagging question – how much time do I have before the Lord calls me home, or before the Rapture (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17; 1 Corinthians 15:51-54), when no born-again Christian (John 3:3-8) will be left behind to complete the Lord’s unfinished business?

In the dream I sensed time was running out, but there were no clocks to tell me how quickly. The clocks in the ICU were all set to different times, perhaps reflecting the different numbers of days remaining that the Lord has appointed to each of us (Psalm 90:10). The surrealistic, distorted clock with all the numbers on the left side of the face may indicate how time seems to move more swiftly the older we get.

Perhaps the nurse did not want me to upset the patients by alerting them to the lateness of the hour, for her yelling at me suggested that noise levels were not her main concern. She did nothing to clarify how late it was, but chided me for being able to figure it out for myself.

Once we are saved by trusting in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) as the only Way to Heaven (John 14:6), our time is not our own, for we are bought with a price (1 Corinthians 6:20). The hour is coming when no man can work (John 9:4), and when we will give an account at the judgment for how we spent our time, talent and treasure when we had the opportunity (1 Corinthians 3:13-15).

We are not promised tomorrow (James 4:14), and no man knows the day or the hour of our Lord’s return (Matthew 24:36,44; 25:13). But we do know that it is one day closer today than it was yesterday, and that yesterday’s hours are gone forever.

Man has created a “Doomsday Clock,” predicting the time of Earth’s apocalyptic destruction based on the likelihood of nuclear war and other annihilating forces. The planet has never been closer to midnight than we are now – just seconds away. But man’s “wisdom” pales next to God’s infinite knowledge of eternity past and eternity future.

Although no one knows when the Rapture will occur, Jesus taught us about the signs of the times (Matthew 16:3), indicating His soon return. As He predicted (Matthew 24), these have been like labor pains, intensifying in frequency and intensity. Just browse the headlines and you’ll see it all unfolding – wars, rumors of wars, plague, famine, evil running rampant, false prophets, apostasy, family members killing one another, earthquakes, signs in the sky, with blood-red moons (Joel 2:31; Acts 2:20) and even blood-red skies, recently reported in China.

May we not be alarmed by these devastating events but rather reassured that Christ’s plan is unfolding before our eyes, and that His return is ever so near. May we redeem the time in these evil days (Ephesians 5:16), and be not weary in well-doing, for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not! (Galatians 6:9). May we look up, for our redemption draws nigh! (Luke 21:28).

© 2022 Laurie Collett



 

 


4 comments:

Brenda said...

Hi Laurie,
time is different in everyone's lives, as I believe the lady seeing 10.10 and you seeing 9.50 in your dream represents, and a separate clock beside each bed saying that time is different for everyone. I believe the raised chair could represent believers being raised up in the Lord. I don't think it will be long before the Lord returns as all that is going on around the world is fitting in with prophesy. God bless Laurie, as we wait for our Lord's return.

Laurie Collett said...

Hi Brenda,
Thank you for your insightful comment and interpretations. I agree, prophecy is unfolding all around us, and it seems that our Lord's return is very near. Come quickly, Lord Jesus!
God bless you,
Laurie

Frank E. Blasi said...

Dear Laurie,
The works of Salvador Dali, if I remember, became very prominent around the 1970s when just walking through the shopping streets of London (eg, Oxford St, Piccadilly Circus, etc) and this optical delusion artwork appeared in the shop windows frequently.
The Melting Clocks is probably the most famous. It even appeared in some Christian literature featuring a bored-looking man sitting in an armchair and half-sleepingly gazing at the one hanging over the edge of the block.
Indeed, there are moments when time seems to drag so slow, mainly when waiting for something, but as you said, once the hour has elapsed, it can never be retrieved. Especially if I wish we could turn back the clock.
Best wishes to you and Richard. God bless.

Laurie Collett said...

Dear Frank,
We had the blessing of being able to visit the Salvador Dali museum in Florida, which features many of his great works and also interactive exhibits. Although surrealism is not my favorite style, I gained a new-found appreciation for Dali's great genius. And his "Melting Clocks" is a great visual depiction of how time often distorts for all of us.
Thanks as always for your comment. May God bless you and Alex,
Laurie