Saturday, April 29, 2023

Triplets of Fragrance: Gateway to Worship

 


Photo credit: Apr 12, 2012 wikimedia


Do the scents of spring bring joy or other passionate emotions to your heart and soul? When I was growing up in Pennsylvania, I always associated the intoxicating fragrance of lilacs with the impressionist music of Ravel’s La Valse – melodies that lured me to dance even while my heart was aching.

The first time I visited Princeton University, the sweetness of the weeping cherry trees helped to convince me that I wanted to attend college there. For the next four springs, I learned to associate that scent with rites of passage – final exams, the giddiness yet heartbreak of young romance, existential thoughts and discussions while walking by moonlight reflecting from the Fountain of Freedom, and finally the bittersweet accomplishment of graduation.

Now that I live in Florida, orange blossoms, jasmine and honeysuckle waft in on the morning breeze, reminding me of God’s grace in bringing me here, saving me, and giving me the blessings of my family, a new church home, and of opportunities to serve Him in several ministries. The gateway of fragrance opens the path to memories of long ago, peace and joy in the present, and hope for the future.

We are wonderfully made by God (Psalm 139:14) in His own image (Genesis 1:26), designed to worship Him, so it is not surprising that He uses that pathway from nose to brain to remind us of Himself. The Bridegroom in Song of Solomon, a beautiful metaphor for Christ Himself, pours out His Name as a fragrant oil (1:3). He is the Rose of Sharon and the Lily of the Valleys (2:1), perfuming our lives with His truth and grace.

In Old Testament times, God commanded sacrifices to Himself that would be a sweet-smelling savour (Genesis 8:21; Exodus 29:18,25, etc.), echoed later in the incense used in some churches during worship services. Then His Son was the perfect, complete sacrifice for the sins of the whole world (John 1:29), forever conquering sin and death (1 Corinthians 15:54-57), exuding a fragrance like that of incense used in a triumphal procession (2 Corinthians 2:14). Now, all those who place their trust in Him are a sweet savour of Christ (2 Corinthians 2:15-16).

God experiences the prayers of those who love and trust Him as incense, as described in exactly three verses in Scripture (Psalm 141:2; Revelation 8:3, 4).

Psalm 45 describes the royal perfume of Christ the King in triplets of fragrance. He is anointed with the oil of gladness (Hebrews 1:9) composed of myrrhaloes and cassia (Psalm 45:8). This Psalm prophesies of the coming Messiah, fairer than the children of men, speaking words of grace, and forever blessed by God (v. 4). He is mighty, full of glory and majesty (v. 3), yet He embodies meekness as well as righteousness and truth (v. 4).

Jesus Christ is the High Priest anointed with the oil of the Spirit (v. 7), as well as the Warrior bringing judgment to God’s enemies (v. 5) and the King Who will rule forever in righteousness (v. 6). How should we respond to Him?

If we forsake all others to be with Him (v. 8), acknowledge Him as Lord of our lives by obeying Him, and worship Him (v. 11), He will see us as honorable (v. 9), beautiful (v. 11). and glorious (v. 8). Then we can enter into the King's palace (v. 15), become His children, and rule with Him as princes in all the earth (v. 16). We shall rejoice (v. 15), remember His name for all generations, and praise Him forever (v. 17).

What an amazing prophesy of Christ the King Who through His deathburial and resurrection (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) saved us by His grace (Ephesians 2:8-9), transforming us from His enemies (Romans 5:10) to His children (Romans 8:16) and joint rulers with Him! (Isaiah 32:1) Truly believers have reason to rejoice! Just as we are clothed in His righteousness (Psalm 132:9; Isaiah 61:10), so will our garments be perfumed with His oil of gladness! 

© 2014 Laurie Collett 
Reposted from the archives





8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Frank E. Blasi said...

Dear Laurie,
That we become a sweet fragrance to God after we're saved is a wonderful truth. This reminds me of only last week when I stood up during a midweek church meeting. It was testimony week, and after several stood up and expressed the occasions when they felt down at heart during times of difficulty, I reminded them of the wonderful truth of forensic acquittal, and how they were justified by faith.
This means that if we are in Christ, God sees not our natural sinful selves but instead He sees us in the same way He sees His beloved Son.
Quite a number approached me after the meeting to thank me for sharing that.
Blessings to you and Richard.

Laurie Collett said...

Hi Lon,
Thank you so much for your supportive comment!

Lilacs were my mom's favorite flower, and when she passed, I planted a lilac bush in her memory.

Just visited your renamed blog and think the new title is great!

God bless,
Laurie

Laurie Collett said...

Dear Frank,
Praise the Lord for the opportunity you had to bless others with your testimony, which must indeed have been a sweet-smelling savour to our Lord Jesus Christ!
It is truly amazing that Jesus accepts us just as we are, like the father accepted the prodigal son straight from the pigpen, and immediately clothes us with the spotless garment of His righteousness. When God looks at us, He sees only that imputed righteousness and no longer remembers our sin.
May God bless you and Alex,
Laurie

Brenda said...

Hi Laurie, yes there is a freshness in every part of our lives when we are in the Lord. The old has gone and the new has come, and our life in Christ is beautiful as we are washed by His blood. I am sure I left a comment earlier on this post, but it doesn't seem to have come up. God bless you Laurie.

Laurie Collett said...

Hi Brenda,

Thank you so much for returning to post your comment, as this is the first I have seen of it. Praise God that we are a new creation in Christ and that He has made everything beautiful in His time, even our sin-filled souls now clothed in His righteousness. May God bless you too!
Laurie

Anonymous said...

Laurie, I love smelling the clean fresh fragrance in spring! There are times I will pick up a scent that will bring me back to a pleasant time I had in my life.

Plus, I love the beautiful fragrance that lilies have to offer.

I will have to look up that music, perhaps I will like it too. When it comes to music, my favorite is light jazz.

I do not know if I have ever smelled that type of tree, all I know, is that photo of those "weeping cherry trees" is beautiful!

One of my favorite teas I drink, is Jasmine Tea. Plus, I love smelling its beautiful fragrance when it rises from my cup.

When my mother was alive here on earth, she used to tell me there were times she would smell a sweet fragrance in her home, and when she did, she knew it was Jesus.

Thank you, for sharing what you did, and pointing out those lovely verses as well.

I was baptized when I was younger in a Baptist church.

One of my favorite pastors I watch and listen to on YouTube, is Pastor Charles Lawson.

God's Blessings, to you and yours!

Laurie Collett said...

Hi Lon,
Thank you so much for returning to this post and for leaving such a lovely comment!

Our pastor's wife blessed me with a beautiful Easter lily, and the most wonderful thing about it was the fragrance that brightened my mood whenever I passed by it. Depending on air flow in the house, sometimes I could even perceive the aroma from a nearby room!

I also love jasmine tea, and I have a blend of green tea pearls with jasmine that make a heavenly brew!

I also enjoy light jazz and blues jazz, and really a variety of musical genres. I enjoy writing Christian lyrics to secular or classical songs and am blessed to be able to sing them as specials in our Baptist church.

What an amazing testimony your mother had of being aware of Jesus' presence through His sweet fragrance!

Hope to check out Pastor Lawson soon!

Thanks again for your comment, and may God bless you and your blog ministry,

Laurie