Saturday, May 4, 2024

The Feast

 


Photo by DimiTalen 2019

Many decades ago, my father had the opportunity to meet the owner of a castle in Ireland which he had converted to a luxury hotel. Although their meeting occurred in a business-related situation, the two became fast friends. The castle owner was extremely generous, and on several occasions gifted my parents with airfare to Ireland and a week’s stay at his elegant establishment.

Sadly, my parents and the hotel owner are no longer living, but my husband, son, daughter-in-law and I were blessed to visit the castle several years ago, thoroughly enjoying our stay and making many wonderful memories.

With that as background, I recently dreamed that I was staying at the castle and wanted to express my appreciation to the owner for his hospitality to my parents. I decided that I would offer to cook him a special meal, and he accepted the invitation.

But as the day approached, my anxiety grew. What could I possibly prepare that would be a treat for the owner of a Michelin-rated restaurant? Where would I shop for the ingredients, and where would I do the cooking and plating?

I decided to ask the restaurant manager for suggestions. To my relief, he invited me to use his kitchen for my culinary endeavors and assured me that his staff would procure whatever was on my shopping list.

On the appointed day, I prepared dinner for two – simple, yet I hoped it would be tasty. Pleased with my efforts, I was leaving the kitchen when the restaurant manager approached me.

“Have you invited the owner’s family?” he asked.

“Why, no,” I stammered in embarrassment.

“The owner always dines with his relatives and staff, whom he considers to be his extended family,” the manager pointed out.

Crestfallen, I was ashamed of my lack of foresight and inability to provide such a huge repast.

“Don’t worry,” he said gently. “We’ll take the dinner you prepared and make it work!”

So I thanked him and went to my room to change into a formal gown appropriate for dinner at a castle!

That evening, hundreds of guests, all dressed in their best attire, filed into the vast dining hall. Every table was set with crisply starched white linens, fine gold-rimmed china, Waterford crystal goblets, sterling silver flatware, and crimson rose bouquets. The candelabra were all lit, reflecting light from the full suits of armor arranged along the mahogany walls, as if on guard to protect the guests. Flags of many nations hung regally in between each knight’s armor.

The food I had prepared sat in the middle of a long serving table, yet it had miraculously increased to be able to feed the hundreds of guests in attendance. Surrounding it were a myriad of platters, tureens and serving dishes containing roasts, vegetables, seafood, appetizers, desserts and other gourmet delicacies that looked and smelled heavenly!

As I marveled at the abundant provision to which I had made such a minute contribution, I awoke feeling thankful yet humbled by the dream. It reminded me that God will always use what we give back to Him, whether our time, talent, or treasure, and multiply it to bless others.

I believe the castle owner represented God the Father, who blesses us exceedingly abundantly beyond what we could ever imagine or think (Ephesians 3:20), because He gives to us according to His riches in glory (Philippians 4:19). The restaurant manager may have symbolized Jesus Christ His Son, the earthly manifestation of the Father (John 14:7-9) Who draws others to God. In addition, the manager may represent any faithful steward who wisely uses his God-given resources to lead others to the Lord and to encourage them in His work (Luke 12:42; 1 Corinthians 4:2).

Jesus told of a man who ordered his servants to invite guests to his feast from the highways and hedges, because those who should have attended were too busy or had other poor excuses for missing it (Luke 14:16-24). In my dream, the manager was a faithful steward who expanded the attendance of the feast from merely two to a huge crowd, all of whom could be nourished both physically and spiritually.

Jesus fed the multitudes through the miracles of the loaves and fishes, in each case using a humble gift from a person of modest means (Matthew 14:14-21; 15:29-38). He honored the monetary donation of the widow far beyond that of the much larger gifts of the wealthy, even though she gave only a mite worth barely a penny, because it was all she had (Mark 12:41-44).

It doesn’t matter how much or how little we think we have. Once we are saved by trusting in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) as the only Way to Heaven (John 14:6), we will be rewarded for and others will be blessed by any resources we give back to Him with the right motive (1 Corinthians 3:10-15).

At the marriage supper of the Lamb (Revelation 19:9), believers of all nations will dine sumptuously as we celebrate the union of the Church, or body and bride of Christ, with her Bridegroom, the Lord Jesus Christ Himself. The suits of armor in the dream may represent faithful prayer warriors who fought bravely in the battles of spiritual warfare, putting on the whole armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-18), and the flags the saints from many kindreds and nations (Revelation 7:9).

When we make it our mission to use what He has given us to glorify Him and show His love to others, He will empower us, opening doors, providing us with what we need, and showing the way. Praise God that His strength is made perfect in our weakness! (2 Corinthians 12:9).

We can’t outgive God! May we use His gifts wisely to honor Him and bless others!

© 2024 Laurie Collett


4 comments:

Frank E. Blasi said...

Dear Laurie,
When I think of grand banquets, I imagine the setting you showed in your header photo above, but with more tables laid and each table greater in size. That is the picture I get in my imagination as I read Luke 14:16-24 as well as Matthew 22:1-14. These verses also indicate a large grand hall of a palace or castle filled with hundreds of guests.
Yet, in Jesus' day, diners reclined at the table rather than sat on chairs.
Maybe there was a difference in table settings between an average home and a palace. It would have been interesting how the audience visualised the setting of the Lord's parables.
Blessings to you and Richard.

Laurie Collett said...

Dear Frank,
I agree -- I think Jesus was speaking about a very large gathering, but the photo was the most suitable I could find on Wikimedia. And you're right -- the diners in that day would have been reclining on sofas next to the table.
I believe that all those who heard Jesus speak understood Him in their own language and in the context of their own culture. This is one of the reasons why Scripture is still relevant today, as it speaks to each of our hearts.
May God bless you and Alex,
Laurie

Brenda said...

Hi Laurie, yes we must truly use the gifts that God has given us to spread the Gospel of truth into this world. The food that God supplies in His Word (our precious Lord Jesus, is the best food we could eat. It provides strength in our minds and bodies. You have lovely dreams, and they are what God has given you to share to all in this hungry world. God bless you Laurie.

Laurie Collett said...

Hi Brenda,
Praise the Lord that He is the Bread of Life Who nourishes us physically and spiritually through His Word!
Thank you for your lovely comment. May God bless you too!