Friday, August 12, 2011

Come to Daddy!

Have you ever stopped to think how awesome it is that believers have the privilege of calling the omnipotent Creator of all “Abba Father,” a term of endearment similar to “Daddy?” (Galatians 4:6)

Like a little child, we can run into His outstretched arms knowing that He will catch us, draw us close to Himself and love us infinitely and unconditionally (Luke 15:20). He is even more approachable and available than the best imaginable Daddy could be. Unlike an earthly parent, He always has time for us (2 Peter 3:8), and He will never leave us or forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). He will never reproach us or punish us because His Son’s perfect sacrifice was the complete punishment for all our sins, past, present and future (Colossians 1:14).

This is not to say that He will prevent us from suffering in this earthly life, but rather that He will only allow us to suffer when it is for our own ultimate good or for that of others (Romans 8:28). Like a wise earthly father, God may allow us to suffer if He knows it is the only way we can learn from our mistakes and turn away from our sin to His perfect will for our life. Sometimes He allows us to endure trials so that our character can become more patient and compassionate, like that of His Son (Romans 8:16-18; Phil. 3: 10-14), so that our faith and dependence on Him will be strengthened, and/or so that we will have the experience to counsel and comfort others going through trials.

Thanks to the mystery of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, all who have faith in that Gospel are no longer enemies of God condemned under the law (Romans 8:1). Instead, we are reconciled to Him (Colossians 1:20-22), sons of God and joint heirs with Christ (Galatians 4:6-7). The Holy Spirit that enters us at the moment of salvation calls out to Abba Father, seeking fellowship with Him and urging us to be more like Christ in us, the hope of glory (Colossians 1:27).

Oswald Chambers 8/8: Prayer in the Father’s Honor (from My Utmost for His Highest):

If the Son of God has been born into my human flesh, then am I allowing His holy innocence, simplicity, and oneness with the Father the opportunity to exhibit itself in me? What was true of the Virgin Mary in the history of the Son of God’s birth on earth is true of every saint. God’s Son is born into me through the direct act of God; then I as His child must exercise the right of a child— the right of always being face to face with my Father through prayer. Do I find myself continually saying in amazement to the commonsense part of my life, “Why did you want me to turn here or to go over there? ’Did you not know that I must be about My Father’s business?’ ” (Luke 2:49). Whatever our circumstances may be, that holy, innocent, and eternal Child must be in contact with His Father.

Am I simple enough to identify myself with my Lord in this way? Is He having His wonderful way with me? Is God’s will being fulfilled in that His Son has been formed in me…, or have I carefully pushed Him to one side? Oh, the noisy outcry of today! Why does everyone seem to be crying out so loudly? People today are crying out for the Son of God to be put to death. There is no room here for God’s Son right now— no room for quiet, holy fellowship and oneness with the Father.
Is the Son of God praying in me, bringing honor to the Father, or am I dictating my demands to Him? Is He ministering in me as He did in the time of His manhood here on earth? Is God’s Son in me going through His passion, suffering so that His own purposes might be fulfilled?


So let’s allow the indwelling Holy Spirit to direct our prayer life, our hope in eternal glory, and our fellowship with Our Father! Let’s turn the reins over to Him, to make us more like Christ in every waking moment and to do all for the Father’s glory!

Love in Christ,

Laurie Collett

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Oh yes, I love Oswald Chamber's writings. And the last question gives me much to meditate on -- suffering that His own purposes might be fulfilled. I love the idea of God saying, Come to Daddy. My earthly daddy is my hero so it makes perfect sense to me that my Heavenly Daddy would want to spend time with me.

Excellent thoughts. I'll enjoy reading more of your writings.

Blessings,
Pamela

Laurie Collett said...

Thanks, Pamela, for your kind words and thoughtful comment! Yes, Our Heavenly Father intends all things, even suffering, for our ultimate good, to strengthen our faith in and dependence on Him, to give us greater compassion for those going through similar trials, and to conform us progressively to Christ's image as we share in His sufferings (http://savedbygracebiblestudy.blogspot.com/2011/08/dont-squander-your-inheritance.html) May God bless you too! Laurie